Sunday 30 March 2014

Analysis of digipaks created by other pop artists

During lesson time today my class focused on digipaks within the music industry; why they are used, what their purpose is and how they are presented. I learnt that a digipak is the packaging included with an album, consisting of usually 4 or 6 panels. Digipaks feature an album cover, a track list, close ups of artists and usually have one overall theme, relating to the musician's album and body of work on their CD.

 Below I've chosen to analyse specific digipaks of pop artists relevant to my groups chosen pop song 'Domino' by Jessie J. Looking at different pop digipaks can help my group gain ideas for our digipak design and also help us understand what is conventional of pop digipaks. So, this research plays an important role in creating our final digipak.

Below I've embedded a Photoshop image I've created, where I've analysed the pop-indie artist Marina and The Diamonds digipak. I chose to look at her digipak because she is a young pop-indie artist whose target audience is ,the same as my groups, teenagers.

I also chose to analyse one of Britney Spears digipaks, as she is another successful pop artist. Additionally, I chose to look at one of her digipaks because she is a young woman, and so her digipak could be conventional of women in the pop genre. Below, I've embedded a Photoshop document where I've analysed and compared her digipak to the digipak above.

I also came across Rihanna's digipak for her album 'Loud'. What I liked about this digipak is how the three inner panels have been used to create one overall image. From looking at the embedded image below Rihanna is denoted lying in a bed of roses with her fiery red hair. I think using the three inner panels to create one composition is interesting and something different. My group could try to experiment with using photography in the inner panels of the digipak to create a composition.





No comments:

Post a Comment